Rocket Surgeon: A person with less-than-stellar aptitude. A mixture of "rocket scientist" and "brain surgeon" This phrase describes a person who is neither.




Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Necklace That Won My Heart

I'm a simple girl.  Really I am.

There are few materialistic things in life that catch my eye.  I don't have to have the newest, best, or most stylish.  My car is more than 10 years old, my TV is not a flat screen or a plasma or a high definition, And until recently, I had a cell phone with an antennae for crying out loud!!

I can pass on lots of stuff.  Except for Sara Lee pound cake in the freezer section.  I rarely can pass that up, so I avoid that aisle completely.

With the exception of food, not much catches my eye.

But I crossed paths with a necklace a couple of weeks ago that made me swoon.  My heart beat rapidly.  I fell in love with it.  It was clunky, funky, chunky, and gawdy.  But gawdy in a good way.  The price tag on it was a little more than I cared to spend on jewelry.  I prefer the 25 cent machines in the foyer of the Pizza Hut,that is more my speed. 

So I walked away from this necklace.  With much sadness I might add.

I ventured to other booths set up at this fine, family event I was attending.  I looked at purses and shoes and candles and pot holders.

But I kept thinking of that funky necklace.  I wanted it and I wanted it badly.

I checked my pockets and had just enough money to buy the neckace and have some money leftover for a turkey leg, so I caved and bought the necklace.

I put it on immediately and got a couple compliments.

Then I wore it to work the next day.

I got more compliments on that necklace than I've received in all my born days on any thread of anything I've ever slapped on my body. 

That evening, I came home with a boosted self esteem.  I was relaxing in my Lazy Boy and my neck started bothering me.  I reached up to rub the back of my neck and felt a lot of little bumps.  I recently have been ill with an infection that has reared its ugly head in all manner of ways, so my first thought was "Oh my gosh, now I'm getting a rash, it must be the infection trying to get out of my body!"

But no. 

It later dawned on me after washing my neck and the irritation disappearing, that I was having an allergic reaction to my new necklace!!!  The necklace that I pined for.  The necklace that jumped off the table into my arms.  The necklace that made others wish they were me for just a fraction of a millisecond.  Or maybe not on that last sentence. 

I am heartbroken over it.

So I'm left with a dilemma.  I can wear my new necklace with a turtleneck, which I despise or I can give it away.   gasp!

I'm going to attempt to wear it one more time to see if my problem persists.

I'm hoping for the best.


No comments: