Rocket Surgeon: A person with less-than-stellar aptitude. A mixture of "rocket scientist" and "brain surgeon" This phrase describes a person who is neither.




Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wordless Wednesday (Nevermind)

I tried to post a Wordless Wednesday blog.
I've noticed some bloggers do it.  They don't say anything, just post a picture.
I tried, I really did.
I posted the picture, but I couldn't stand not to say something.  Anything.

I don't think I'm much of a talker.  I attribute that to my mom, who is one. 

I was shocked to discover that others disagree with this quiet self image I possess. 

Jason for one, thinks I talk all the time.  He regularly reminds me that the first time he called to ask me on a date, I talked 3 hours.  Evidently, he talked some too, or we wouldn't be here today, now would we?

This year, one of my second graders said, "Mrs. Wheeler, you're just like my brother."  Oh yeah, how's that?  "You're both always talking."  Well, Hello????  I'm teaching here.

A friend of mine says when I have a little wine, or a little too much wine rather, I'm not quiet then either.  So that's three measly people who think I talk alot.  But I don't, really, I swear it.

So back to the picture. 

My niece is a ten (two months shy of eleven) year old in a 7 year old body.  She's tiny and weighs in around 52 pounds.  We were out feeding some cows recently. Rest assured this picture was not taken on I-40. 

When Jason was 8 years old, he was driving an old pick-up around his grandpa's farm doing chores, and walking 5 miles to school uphill, in the snow.  Ashlynn is two years behind schedule according to this mentality.

 He put her in the driver's seat, only to find she needs a couple Houston telephone books to sit on.  So he had her sit in his lap in order to see over the steering wheel.  She was so relaxed.  Anyone who knows her, knows that relaxed and Ashlynn don't jive.  She's never relaxed.  She was also so focused, and again, not a word association for Ash.  It was like she'd been driving since she was two.  She stayed on the road.  She controlled the gas and brake pedal like a pro.  Unlike her auntie here who nearly threw my brother through the windshield of his El Camino on my first drive.

I, on the other hand, was not so relaxed and was white knuckling the Oh S**T Bar the whole time.  Jason kept reminding me to chill out, what is the worst that could happen. 

Nothing did happen.  All the cows are safe.  No barbed wire fence was ran through.  No trees were hit, mostly because there are no trees present in a 50 mile radius.   Ignore the one in the picture.  It's just a figment of your imagination.  I was surprised.  Astonished.  Impressed. 

Next time we're going to bring a couple phone books.

And maybe next Wednesday, I'm not going to say anything.  Ha!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeh, your mom's quite a talker, remember that time in the amarillo air port, we could hear her one end to the other

Angel said...

Trying to figure out who I've been to the Amarillo airport with! Sign your name anonymous!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, my gift of gab is YOUR cross to bear! I have four children, you know, and three are quiet.....the other is like me and seldom shuts up.

Sometimes this gift of gab is a curse.

Mama

Anonymous said...

Also, what a great picture! I'm really shocked at her quietness and ability to drive.

I'm so proud.
Mama

Anonymous said...

dad

jolea said...

Who the hell is the child that never shuts up...I hope she's not talking about me...