Rocket Surgeon: A person with less-than-stellar aptitude. A mixture of "rocket scientist" and "brain surgeon" This phrase describes a person who is neither.




Friday, July 23, 2010

The Life of a Roadie

So begins my life as a roadie.
Chapter 1.


J-Dub had his first drumming gig in the big town of Lefors, Texas yesterday evening.
So we borrowed a trailer, packed up the drum set, and headed down the road about 12 miles to a dot on the map.

We've hit the big time now, baby!!
I've always considered myself to be a small town girl, but soon discovered differently.
This little playing gig was to celebrate the town getting high speed internet, and pert near the whole town came out. 
This town is the kind with no stoplights and where dogs roam the streets at their own free will.  But like most small towns, it had some of the nicest, most accomodating folk around.
We met up at the Pirate's Cove, a little burger joint.
It was right next to the Court House.


They set up an awning for shade........


but the wind insisted on blowing and caused quite a commotion throughout..



There was a fiddle player, a bass player, a stand up bass player, a guitar player who remarked "Lemme git my gitar."  There was of course a handsome drummer, and then this instrument showed up as well.


A wash tub bass. I learn something new everyday.




The crowd gathered up.
Even a young girl with her bitch dog with teats nearly dragging the ground arrived.  The girl had a posse of kids carrying a passel of puppies for the mama dog, I guess in case they got hungry.



The music was delightful.  I attempted a few photos, but sat too far away from the band.  I didn't want security roughing me up, and I'd rather blend into the shadows anyway.  I did venture out to take some photos but I ended up sitting in a sticker patch and then standing in an ant bed, so I quickly made my way back to the safety of my chair by the pickup.

J-Dub played wonderfully.  The group had never rehearsed before and did a great job considering.  They played both dance hall music and gospel songs.  I tapped my toe and swatted flies and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

I made a little video on my phone,  it's total crap and the best I can do.  See if you can hear the drums.



Remember the wind blows here.  It's not my fault!



I take full responsibility for not being able to tell how wonderful the drummer is due to my poor videography skills!




When it was over, we got free burgers out of the deal.
Then we packed up his gear and headed home to unpack it.
Weeee!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angel u rite purty good for a gurl I lik reedin the wirds. Jay

Endy Daniel said...

Nice music!!! i can hear the wind blowin so hard in the video,lol

Angel said...

Jay, you know some of us got smarts real good. Endy, thanks so much for stopping by. Yes the wind blows all the time here!