Rocket Surgeon: A person with less-than-stellar aptitude. A mixture of "rocket scientist" and "brain surgeon" This phrase describes a person who is neither.




Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Look for God in the little things. You'll find Him.

I delivered Meals on Wheels today.  It's one of my absolute favorite things to do.  It really is.  No joshing.  It's not required community service or anything, it's completely voluntary.   Today they had meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, and green beans with some pineapple chunks for dessert.  It made a well rounded meal. 

I met an 88 year old man who sure did like my yellow car, especially the rack on top because it could haul lots of stuff, he said.  He tried to kiss me right on the lips, but I ducked my head in time and so we just put our foreheads together for a nice, awkward moment.  Now tell me, who wouldn't love this?

A few years back, it could've been five but it might've just been four, my niece Ashlynn and I delivered during the summer.  I thought it was important that she see and understand how fortunate we are and that we should help others.  We both loved it.   We had a regular route and went once a week.  Ash was about 6 or 7 years old and some of the elderly people really enjoyed her.  So of course, she enjoyed them.  They would offer her candy and cookies.  There was a little lady who'd let her pet her cat and one small tidy man would give her a dollar bill everytime.   His house quickly became her favorite. 

Each summer I have had the best of intentions to deliver Meals on Wheels, but since my life motto is "Seize Tomorrow", I never did.  Until this summer.

Yesterday morning I was out walking.  I try to spend that 30 minutes in prayer.  It's a good, quiet time and I tend to focus more.  Just a couple houses from home, I thought of calling Meals on Wheels to sign up again.  But by the time I made it in the house, I had other thoughts bombarding me, the phone was ringing, and the devil distracted me. 

Later that day I was reading some of The Purpose Driven Life.  I was reading how we should be servants and serve others through our SHAPE.
S---spiritual gifts
H---heart
A---abilities
P---personality
E---experiences

During this reading, Meals on Wheels popped into my head again.  I don't have a lot of abilities, but I can drive, that's one.  I know this town like the back of my hand, that's another.  I have free time.  Plus, I enjoy it.  Later, I'll call them later, I told myself.   But that little nudging wouldn't let up.  So I went to the phone.  I told her my name and was wondering if they needed any delivery help this summer.  The lady on the other end said, "That's strange.  I pulled your card out just this morning." 

It's not really strange though is it?  Isn't it really God?  I mean, both times I was attempting to spend time with Him when I had the Meals on Wheels thoughts.  They weren't really my thoughts, but more His side of the conversation.

  Sometimes He speaks with a small, still voice.  And sometimes, I have to be still and tarry with Him a bit in order to listen.  He's always with me that I know for sure.   Sometimes I can see Him in the midst of my life, right there in the middle of everything,  but sometimes I only see His back as He is leaving a situation.  That's when I stand amazed and say, That was God.  But when I seek Him, He's there,  just waiting on me, as if I'm the most important person in the world.   I love Him so much. 

He makes my heart sing.

He makes everything
groovy.

4 comments:

Jolea said...

Loved this one!

Anonymous said...

I loved this! Gave me goose bumps and tears in my eyes. Thank you for sharing this, it touched my heart.
Lisa F.

Angel said...

Thanks you two!! Glad it spoke to you Lisa!

Marlene McGarrity said...

WOW love how God spoke to you and you recognized it. That's amazing and it was powerful to read.

You are going to make an amazing book Angel!